Why not cook with aluminum foil?
Cooking with aluminum foil is common because of the ease of handling it when used in high temperatures. However, particles of that aluminum can be filtered in food. Later, they enter our bodies when they are consumed, which can cause serious ailments and diseases.
Aluminum is today the main component of kitchen utensils such as cutlery, pots and pans, thanks to its low production cost and easy handling when cleaning them. The use of these utensils do not represent any problem, the danger is latent is when aluminum foil is used on food and placed at very high temperatures.
The human body can have a daily intake of 40 mg of aluminum according to the World Health Organization. But most people are exposed to a much higher intake than recommended. This is because aluminum is present in some foods such as cheese and hygiene items.
Hazards and symptoms of overexposure to aluminum
Several studies show that an excessive intake of aluminum reduces the growth of brain cells, which causes a greater probability of suffering from Alzheimer’s. Scientists say that the disease has developed in people where there was a higher concentration of aluminum in their brain tissue.
Another danger is the delay in the growth and development of children. In those who have been exposed to aluminum it is more common to present that condition. Even embryos that have been overexposed have defects and anomalies.
It is necessary to pay attention to the following symptoms to determine if there is an intoxication of this metal:
- Bone and muscle pain.
- Respiratory problems.
Recommendations to avoid the toxicity of the use that aluminum paper can cause
To avoid the dangers to our health in the use of aluminum foil it is essential to follow the recommendations shown below:
- Avoid using aluminum foil completely to cook foods at high temperatures.
- Due to the deterioration of the kitchen utensils should be cleaned very well with hot water to prevent rust and detach this metal.
- Do not heat or place hot foods on aluminum foil as it makes it easier to adhere to food.
- Use aluminum foil to store foods that are cold or wrap snacks in the refrigerator.
- Use as an alternative other implements such as porcelain or glass containers. You can also use materials such as paper or waxed paper.
Taking into account all the risks present in aluminum foil it is fundamental to take the appropriate measures to avoid an inadequate intake of aluminum in our organisms. In this way, possible diseases and conditions that affect health are avoided.